Food for Wellbeing
Being able to prepare healthy meals for yourself and your family is an important life-skill, which builds your independence and confidence. Food can play a vital role in maintaining overall health and wellbeing.
Eating a nourishing, balanced diet helps to give people an overall sense of wellness. Staying well is an individual journey and process, it can involve many things and these things are different for everyone.
Eating the foods that contribute to a healthy diet will help us to feel physically well and mindful, we will be able to think more clearly about our daily activities and challenges, as well as increase our opportunities for participation within the community. You may like to become involved in a ‘Foodies’ volunteer program or cook more of your meals with your friends and family.
Food for wellbeing is:
- Connecting with others and feeling socially connected through preparing meals together
- Knowing triggers and addressing them positively, rather than overeating
- Participating in activities and programs that help keep us active
- Eating a balanced diet to ensure we have all the energy and ability to think in all areas of life.
- Taking time for self, like sitting down with a cup of tea or coffee, clearing our minds
- Regular exercise and healthy diet
- Asking for help when needed
Learn more about food in the Cooking module.
Recipe – Baked Potato
These recipes were developed by a group of volunteers from Foodbank and UnitingCare Wesley Bowden Community Foodies who worked alongside OPAL Charles Sturt. The recipes were designed to require only minimal cooking equipment – many can be produced using basic kitchenette facilities. They are easily adapted to use up whatever foods you have on hand from your fridge, pantry or garden.
Download Recipe—Baked-Potato.pdf [1,875.35kb]
- Community Foodies Co-Op – SA Community Foodies is a South Australian nutrition program that aims to build the capacity of individuals and communities to make healthier food choices by training and supporting volunteer community members (‘Foodies’) to act as agents for change.
- Community Foodies Cookbook – Recipes from Community Foodies SA.
- Eat for Health – Australian Government advice about the amount and kinds of foods that we need to eat for health and wellbeing.
- Healthy Food Guide Recipes – Discover healthy recipes and articles and gain some expert advice.